Monday, June 2, 2014

Lazy Weekend

My first weekend and I spent the whole two days in my pajamas and I loved it. The first day I didn't even leave the apartment and spent the whole day watching episodes of Pokemon and taking cat naps on a sunny Sunday. On the second day I had to get things done like shopping and laundry, not very interesting but it had to be done, so I took pictures around town to show you the more boring aspects of life in Paris.
I started out going shopping at the local Monoprix where I shop for most of my groceries. I would say it's closer to a Target then a King Soopers because it sells clothing, appliances, and more. I got some chips, hotdogs, bread, and apples for lunches and so I could break my 50euro into change for the laundry mat. I had an almost conversation with the lady ringing me out in broken French since she didn't speak much English.


Then I went to the laundry mat because the washer at the apartment is broken (apparently it has been for awhile). All the instructions were in French and it took a little while to figure out how to make them work. There is a box on the wall which was the only thing in the whole place that accepted money and you had to press the number of whatever you wanted to do and all the numbers were in little yellow circles all over the place. I first needed soap from the dispenser right next to the money box and I must have spent 10mins trying to find a change slot on it (there wasn't one it's number 30). After that I figures things out and got my laundry going and went for a walk while I waited.
I went up to my local McDonald's where I got some lunch (you can laugh at my choice if you like but it's one of the few places here where I know what to order). I got a royal bacon (which is just a plain burger with bacon) with fries and a medium coke which is .4L (or 13.5oz) and if I haven't said it before there is no such thing as refills in France. With the fries they give you two packets of sauce, your traditional ketchup and
pommes-frites sauce which tastes a bit like ranch and mayonnaise. It lists the ingredients on the back in like 7 languages, none of them English, so using the extent of my French skills I worked out that it contains: water, something vegetable, vinegar, sugar, and some milk based products. I don't really like it and will stick with ketchup on my frites. I headed back to the laundry mat to switch my laundry over to the drier. Now here in Europe it's very uncommon for homes to have driers and most laundry is dried on fold out racks or on lines. Being American I wanted my laundry dried right now so I used the dryers at the laundry mat, 1euro for 8mins it required 16mins and I personally think 2euro was worth it considering the wash cycle cost 3.80.






I headed back to my apartment 13 Rue Jacques Louvel-Tessier with my now clean, dry laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment