Friday, June 20, 2014

Week 4

I'm now officially half way threw my externship and I've been getting to do more and more stuff. On Tuesday we leveled 48 cakes and stacked them into 16 different tiers for our 6 cake orders. I've probably mentioned this but SugarPlum is an American style cake shop in France so most of our customers are Americans or French looking for something exotic, such as carrot cake which is unheard of in France. This leads to some very unique combinations which we try to talk customers out of the worst ones, like one Jame's said they had with carrot cake and chocolate icing. This week we I iced up a gingerbread cake with cherry icing, which seems a little odd, and just today I made a lemon cake with cherry icing which actually seems pretty tasty. On Wednesday we covered the 9 tiers that made up our 3 cakes with fondant and I got to cover all 6 cake boards (which teaches the techniques for covering cakes).
Then I worked on some decorations for our "Under the Sea" themed cake (which must be for a 'Back to the Future' themed prom lol) I made about 50 shells, fish, seahorses, and starfish (these are actually what's left over from what I made that didn't make it on the cake because there were too many).







I also finished up the last two Disney princess cup cake toppers. This makes up the full 32 toppers and I had such fun making them, I feel like I could spend all day making cup cake toppers.




On Thursday I spent most of the day working on the "Under the Sea" cake which I will post pictures of tomorrow when we take nice pictures on the black background.

Then today I finished up the "Under the Sea" cake and made little decorations for mini cupcakes for the same order.









Then we covered an all fake cake for a French cosmetic companies photo shoot. They are paying 700 euro for this entirely fake cake that we put together in a couple hours and they say they may want to change the colors (which they've been informed that if we have to do the cake again they will be charged again) and they will let us know on Saturday, which is the day it's to be picked up.


1 comment: