Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Begining of my Third Week

This week we have 8 (maybe 9) cake orders ranging from two tiers to four tiers with one of the cakes being a square cake. I personally leveled 35 cakes today and then filled them with 4 different flavors of buttercream fillings, assembling them into 12 cakes. I only managed to finish 5 of the cakes after spending the day crumb coating them but I'll finish them off tomorrow. I find it rather odd to work for a place that sends you home at your scheduled time even when the work isn't done yet but I suppose when you've got have half your staff working for free (there are at least 4 interns working in various sections of the shop for various lengths of time) it's the kind thing to do not to work them to death. It was quite good practice and good experience for the days to come since it's heading into wedding season. It's also an odd thing to work for a place that values perfection and consistency over speed as it's not something I've experienced working for big corporations and I'm hoping my next job has similar values.
On a side note I'd like to point out that most buildings here (and all apartments) lack air conditioning and it has been hot as hell until today when it rained all day which is great for keeping the apartment cool but not so good for covering cakes with sugarpaste (fondant). Unfortunately once it stops raining it'll become hot and humid, not much better (I prefer the rain and hope it stays).

No comments:

Post a Comment