Sunday, June 8, 2014

One Quarter Done

I have officially completed two weeks of my eight week externship and I feel I've learned so much about making high quality boutique cakes. This week I spent a lot of my time in the kitchen helping make the cakes for next week but I still got to practice my decorating skills on cup cake toppers and the Game of Thrones cake which I'm particularly proud of.
I made about half the little gears for the top tier and it was much easier then it seems. I just took two different sized round (or other shaped) cutters to get the basic shape. Then you use a round pastry tip (cause they are very small) and cut out or just mark around the outside. To make the more gear shaped ones you do the same but you go around the outside with a square cutter to cut out the gear teeth.
Then I used a diamond cutter to cut out all the scales for this scale mail tier. Last I used an extruder to make long strips of modeling chocolate and then gently braided them. Everything was sprayed with an edible metallic spray paint which was both cool and made things much easier then the alternative of painting them all individually and having it look hand done no matter how hard you try.














These are the other cakes I worked on this week. Mostly I just covered them and James did all the decoration.














Next week we have about 10 cakes ranging from two tiers to five tiers so there will be a lot of work to do and a lot of cakes to build, cover, and decorate. I hope for more time with James, more individual projects, and more pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment