Friday, May 23, 2014

X-Men:Days of Future Past

I was heading down from the Eiffel Tower at about 3:40 and thought I could catch the 4:45 showing as planned but after getting lost and walking in circles it was 4:10 before I made it back to the Metro station. I still thought I could get there but I ended up getting on the train heading in the wrong direction (not the first time this has happened). It's not like they're poorly marked but it gives you all the next stops and if you don't know what other stops are in your direction it can get confusing and this line had 4 branches. It's fairly easy and painless (besides looking like an idiot) to get off and run around to the other side and get back on. Unfortunately this train wasn't running in the other direction for 10mins. I knew this meant I wouldn't catch the 4:45 showing but there was another at 7:20 so I continued on to my destination and thank goodness I was going to the later show cause I got very lost trying to find the theater. I chose a big theater in the middle of town cause I felt this had the best chance of having English speaking attendants and would be easy to find. Boy was I wrong! If I had know where it was the Metro actually goes right under it but I'll get to that later. I got off at Chatelet, which is the most confusing station in all of Paris with 6 different trains going in 10 different directions and at least 8 different exits. One of my major problems with getting around is once I get off the train which street do I want to exit on and which direction do I go from there. I had written down what exit a blog had said to use but it turns out not to exist and so I was left choosing at random. I must have chosen very wrong because I had to walk down five streets and turn back 3 times before finding what I needed. The theater was in a big mall, malls are easy to find right? Not when they are under construction and are in fact 4 floors beneath the city. From the street this place just looked like a big construction zone with fences up and tarps covering a half finished building. When you finally find the stairs they look like they are leading down into a Metro station due to the signage, but you walk down and suddenly see a big open area with shops to either side. I found a map and saw the the theater was going to be on the 4th floor down and about as far away from where I was as possible. I went all the way to the bottom and started walking towards what for me was the back. I did eventually find the place and get my tickets about an hour and a half early. I looked around a bit but decided I'd had quite enough walking for the day and didn't feel like getting lost in a mall. I sat down and read (nearly falling asleep with the days exertions) till about 40mins before my movie started. I went up to the correct theater entrance (there were 35 theaters and 4 entrances) and got popcorn and a soda. Interesting things to know about seeing movies in France: there's no such thing as refills in France(soda makes you fat), the time listed is the time they will start seating, they run the previews along with ads as everyone gets seated, there was no ad telling you to turn off your cell phone but I didn't see one the whole movie, American films are in English with French subtitles, if they speak a different language in the movie the subtitles are still in French(obviously), if they speak French in the movie there will be no subtitles, and over half the theater stayed to watch threw the whole credits (yes there was something at the end). All of these things made for a very interesting movie experience. I'm sure I missed some interesting dialog but they important bits were all in English and the story came together so I mostly knew what was happening. In my wanderings of the mall I had found the Metro entrance within the mall and it was an easy thing to get on my train and ride the the apartment. It was a fun day filled with lots of new adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment