Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Second day of Work

Today was my second day at the SugarPlum Cake Shop. On Wednesdays they cover the cakes with fondant and create decorations for the cakes. It was tiring work rolling out fondant for all 12 of those cake tiers and their wood bases and half way threw the day we found out on of the 2 tiers was canceled (something that doesn't normally happen as they have people pay for their cakes before the week they would be made). When cakes don't sell they usually offer them to people who want to order cakes late in the week for the weekend but unfortunately the cake is a citrus cake with orange blossom icing and is unlikely to sell. We stacked up the 5 tier cake tho and it weights a ton, tomorrow it'll get hearts all over it and a couple big (gumpaste) cherries on top. We dyed a bunch of fondant peach for another cake that has lace (provided by the client) around the tiers. Something to note: I was told many times today I was rolling the fondant too thin and all I could think was how my teachers would reprimand me for putting suck thick fondant on my cakes, it must have been 1/4in thick and I was told to roll it thicker. Now I never had any of it sent back cause it ripped or you could see the cake threw it (which is what I was told was the reason I had to roll it thicker next time) but I'll have to adjust myself. We finished the day making bollywood themed cupcake toppers. I made elephants out of modeling chocolate and little flowers (and other decorations) out of gumpaste. Probably because we had 3 people we finished up early and I was told I could go home but the kitchen manager had other plans for us helpless, unpaid, interns. We got roped into leveling and layering some cakes for the cafe's pastry case (which I was happy to do for the practice). We finished up around 2:15 but I couldn't leave without doing some dishes for the poor kitchen crew who's sink was completely full. I was thanked for helping out and I still got to leave half and hour early. Took the train back to the apartment and this old woman is looking at my book over my shoulder. I get up to get off the train and she starts speaking to me (in French of course) and I didn't even have time to explain to her I don't speak French because the train is going to leave so I said "Oui, merci" I hope I answered correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment