Friday, May 23, 2014

Grocery Shopping

Today I went to the market to get groceries since I have nothing to eat at the apartment. Every Tuesday and Friday there is a huge open air market about 5 blocks away. I walked down there and started walking down the row of stalls, it was quite crowded and all the vendors were yelling out items and prices in French. I walked down at least 5 blocks and it just kept going. I turned around and started my shopping. I picked up 5 apples, 5 oranges, 2 avocados, a bunch of grapes, 1kilo of cherries, and I never paid more then 3euro at any stand. I picked up a baguette for 60cents! I was only there for food but this market had all sorts of things including clothing and electronics all for super cheap. As I wondered slowly down the crowded aisle I picked where I would get things from the guys handing out samples which I think I got because I was a cute girl and got told how pretty I was several times in several different languages. I managed to get by with my limited French because most everyone spoke some English but I messed up the prices several times and usually just held out my handful of change for them to get their money (I probably would have been laughed out of the market if I wasn't so cute and very polite). As my arms grew heavier I started to notice lots of people had these rolling bags to put all their groceries in, which would have been a grand idea as my fingers started to loose feeling by the end. I left the market with many bags hanging off my arms and I would have gotten more but I knew I couldn't carry anything else. I dropped all my stuff at the apartment and headed out again to the local Monoprix where I got dry goods like pasta and cereal as well as coke, cheese, and eggs. They had cheeses at the market but since nothing was labeled I was afraid my French wouldn't be enough to get me by there. They even had meats and seafood of all sorts but since I'm not much of a cook I stuck with things I knew I could cook or eat without cooking. My one bag of groceries and 4 pack of coke(1.5L) cost me 16+euros so the market is really the way to go for food but I will have to learn to cook all the wonderful seafood I saw cause it all looked super delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment