Tuesday, May 27, 2014

First day of Work

Today was my first day on the job. I woke up at 6:15am and made it to work by 7 without incident. On Tuesdays they fill and coat the cakes with buttercream. We had four cakes for this week, one 5 tier, one 3 tier, and two 2 tier cakes. Each one was a different flavor of cake with different flavors of fillings. We pulled the cakes out of the freezer first thing so they could thaw. I learned to level a cake to a certain height because at SugarPlum they have very specific heights for each level of cake (for normal tiers it's 3cm on bottom and 2.5cm for the second and third layers but they have tall and short tiers the are different) and each layer of icing is 1cm. We leveled 36 cakes in total to make into our 12 tiers. We started assembling the cakes but we had to wait for fillings to be made (for the most part the fillings are just the standard buttercream with different flavorings added). Each cake got brushed with simple syrup or fruit puree before getting filled with the flavored filling. The tiers are all iced with vanilla buttercream and we did a crumb coat and a finish coat with refrigeration in between. It's very important to the finished product that each coating is smoothed to perfection and I took a lot of time making sure my coats were super smooth for when we cover them in sugarpaste. Tomorrow we'll be making the different decorations which will include a couple cherries, lots of hearts, some butterflies, a pacifier and more. All the order forms are in French and I can understand about half of it but I'm sure there were more decorations I missed cause I didn't know what the words meant. Four cakes doesn't seem like much and there was definitely some down time today but it was good to start slow and I expect it to get busier as the wedding season get into full swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment