Sunday, July 13, 2014

Apologies

So I'm done with week 7 and I would love to tell you all about it but I forgot my camera at work and so have no pictures. I'll tell you about the exciting bits and hopefully have pictures to post on Tuesday. This is my second to last week, and how time flies, this week I got to train one of the other interns on cakes which makes me senior intern. I'm not sure I'm very good at training and I found it really hard to help Rosa to understand how to get the cakes perfectly smooth and straight. I had it come so naturally to me to keep my scraper level with the turn table but Rosa would tilt in making all of her cake sides bigger at the bottom than the top (and she wouldn't notice till it was too late to fix and she'd have to re-ice and start again). I spent the time working on icing a series of square cakes which has it's own set of challenges in getting the sides perfectly straight and parallel with each other. I thought I had done pretty well and Rosa's cakes were getting better but the next day James said that all the cakes needed another coat and so Rosa and I spent our time mixing colors and covering the cake boards including one truly massive board for the square cake that was so big (22in) that we had to roll it out as large as the mat would allow and then cut an X in the center to pull the edges further to cover the sides (a trick we used to cover and two largest square cakes too). We covered all but the square cakes and decorated them so we could focus on the square cake over the next two days.Thursday was Alison's (the owner) birthday and so we covered the square cakes and went around the outside making a groove in the center (they were to become suitcases) but then we went home at around 1pm because they were all going out for birthday celebrations. We came back the next day bright and early to finish decorating the suitcases. We made strips that looked like stitched leather to go around the tops and bottoms of each layer and corner pieces with little rivets. Some of the suitcases got straps, or snaps, or locks, or handles. Each tier was a little different and we added a lot of little details to make them look as real as possible. We finished them up with a sleeve poking out of one side and a bow tie sitting on the side and a very cheesy tie with red hearts all over it on the back. Saturday we boxed and took pictures of the cakes which I will post when I get my camera back. There wasn't much else to do so we helped out in the kitchen icing cakes for the shop and making pies and such. Another great week and next week is my last it's been a fu n time but I'm glad to be going home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment